Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 601 Field Coil Driver

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mike Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone,

    I've been interested in field coil drivers for some time and am interested to know if anyone has any experience with the 601 Driver?

    -Mike Edwards forums

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Don McR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Mike

    The 601 is the holy grail of Altec drivers. There were only 100 built before it was replaced by the 604. My web partner and I have been trying to track one down for the last three years just to get pictures for our site. We have never come across anyone that owns one and it has never shown up on Ebay.

    Altec used to have a 601 that they kept as a museum piece in Anaheim. However, no one knows what happened to it after that plant was closed. I have been told that Les Paul has one, but I have not been able to confirm this.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Jim D's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    155
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have had quite a bit of experience with field coild drivers, 415s, 284s, 287s, Jensen's, RCAs, WE 555s, etc. Never a 601. Do you have one? I would love to see it. Blast, Don got his reply in before I got mine, I knew if he saw this it would perk him up. Jim D

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mike Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    Hi Fella's,

    No I don't have this sacred Jade, I was beginning to believe it a myth myself. I too have scoured ebay and every other cyber cave like Indiana Jones only to find willow the wisp. So out of the ones that might be found which are most credible, the 415, 284, 287 or WE555? I understand if the coil is in good shape, perhaps tested with Hipot or Megger and passed, that the core can be saturated giving Lowther like gauss. I've got an RFL 829G Calibrator aboard that can really crank out the current/volts for testing but I am wondering what the hot setup would be in the living room? Any ideas, dreams or visions you'd like to share? I'd love to try making a field coil but right now the time/money continuum is preventing this experiment with todays new material and technology I think it would be quite worthwhile. Oh, well..
    -Mike Edwards forums

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Don McR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ha! I beat Jim by 14 minutes.

    I'll let my web partner Steve Schell know about this thread. He is a field coil fanatic, with his main system being an all field coil, all horn loaded system. He even built the field coil tweeters himself.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 601 Field Coil Driver

    I'd say that the rejuvenated Hostboard is working well, as I spotted a link to this ancient thread that I had never seen before. If Mike Edwards is still around please chime in, as I did see an original 601 in recent years and would love to find someone to talk to about it. Lots of other field coil observations as well.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: 601 Field Coil Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    as I did see an original 601 in recent years
    did you get any pictures?
    guns kill people,

    like spoons made rush limbaugh,

    fat ....

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 601 Field Coil Driver

    I did take some pictures, and posted them to this thread:

    Holy grail driver

    One strange aspect of this story: the collector who owned the 601 was a Japanese software engineer who worked in Silicon Valley. Shortly after my visit his company called him back to Japan, so he and his wife sold their home and left the country. The following year he emailed to ask me for a favor, to pick up some speaker cabinets (local to me) that he had bought on ebay and store them for a few months until he could retrieve them. I picked up the cabinets and stored them away. A couple of years went by, and I began writing to him to see when he could pick up his cabinets. To this date he has never responded, yet the emails to him in Japan do not bounce... a mystery.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 601 Field Coil Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    I did take some pictures, and posted them to this thread:

    Holy grail driver

    One strange aspect of this story: the collector who owned the 601 was a Japanese software engineer who worked in Silicon Valley. Shortly after my visit his company called him back to Japan, so he and his wife sold their home and left the country. The following year he emailed to ask me for a favor, to pick up some speaker cabinets (local to me) that he had bought on ebay and store them for a few months until he could retrieve them. I picked up the cabinets and stored them away. A couple of years went by, and I began writing to him to see when he could pick up his cabinets. To this date he has never responded, yet the emails to him in Japan do not bounce... a mystery.
    Do you know anyone else that works for that company? If so maybe they could get in contact with the guy. I don't know what the timeframe has been, but poosibly he was a causualty of the Tsunami........... or less tragic maybe his life is just upside down.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 601 Field Coil Driver

    He disappeared long before the tsunami, a couple of years earlier. I tried web searching for him and his employer but struck out. After attempting to reach him multiple times I eventually sold the cabinets. My interactions with him were very positive overall though, as I got to see and photograph the 601!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.